Tuesday, March 4, 2008

March 6

Leviticus 22:31-33; Deuteronomy 12:32; Numbers 15:37-41; Deuteronomy 22:12, 31:9-13; Leviticus 26:3-46

Sometimes we think forgiveness is a New Testament concept and that the God of the Old Testament was so holy that He was impossible to please.  But the God of New and Old Testament are the same.  His nature is unchanging.  Even in the Old Testament, as we see in this reading, there was power and forgiveness in repentance.  The blessings of obedience and the punishments for disobedience are underscored here... and so are the effects of repentance.

"But if they will confess their sins and the sins of their fathers -- their treachery against me and their hostility toward me, which made me hostile toward them so that I sent them into the land of their enemies -- then when their uncircumcised hearts are humbled and they pay for their sin, I will remember my covenant with Jacob and my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land." [Lev. 26:40-42]

No comments: