Friday, April 18, 2008

April 5

1 Samuel 28:4-25, 31:1-13; 1 Chronicles 10:13, 14; 2 Samuel 4:4, 1:1-27

So does anyone see the irony that the witch of Endor can call Samuel from the dead but she can't see through Saul's disguise?  So much for her power.  It's interesting the medium through which Saul seeks the Lord's word -- dreams, the Urim or prophesy.  The Lord still speaks to us through scripture, others and the world around us today -- which sort of covers the Urim and prophesy.  But what about dreams?  Does the Lord set foot into our dreams?  I wonder.

Saul and his sons die as prophesied by the spirit of Samuel through the witch of Endor.  The Philistines celebrate their momentary victory.  And, I imagine the Amalekite who brought news of Saul's death to David and bragged [also lied] that he had killed Saul in an act of mercy was surprised by David's response.  Ironically, it's an Amalekite who claims to have killed Saul when it's Saul's sparing of the Amalekite king that ultimately brought down Saul.  I suppose the Amalekite thought David was going to be happy that the long-standing fight between he and Saul was finally over.  But David was at war with the Amalekites and he kills the one that claims to have killed God's anointed.  Reminder to self:  The Amalekites' mistake was he viewed the situation from his personal point of view.  He did not have the benefit of the King's perspective.  How often do I misinterpret God because I can't see the big picture?  Too often, I fear.

This reading ends with David's beautiful lament of Saul's death and especially that of David's friend Jonathan.  Such intimate words:

"How the mighty have fallen in battle!
      Jonathan lies slain on your heights.
I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother;
      you were very dear to me.
Your love for me was wonderful,
      more wonderful than that of women."

No comments: