Saturday, October 25, 2008

October 23

Jesus' Early Work in Judea, Samaria, and Galilee -- John 1:35-51, 2:1-25, 3:1-36, 4:1-54; Luke 3:19-20

Bruce Marchiano's powerful portrayal of Christ as infectiously happy

I wonder why John is the only one to record this part of Jesus' life?  Why did John think it so important and why did the others think that it wasn't?  John includes this portion of Jesus life and leaves out so much that the other writers include.

Were the others embarrassed, as some of us now are, that the savior of the world's first recorded miracle was turning water into wine at a wedding feast at his mother's request?  It seems a bit frivolous on the surface.  It was the last bit of wine and as the master of the banquet remarks to the bridegroom:  "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and the the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink...."  [John 2:10] This remark suggests two things that we might not appreciate from our 21st century abstinence-minded and somewhat puritanical cultural bent.  First of all, the wine of Jesus' day was intoxicating.  Some have argued that the wine consumed was simply grape juice.  Yes, I know there's too much in scripture to suggest otherwise.  As Psalm 104, verses 14 and 15, proclaim: "He [God] makes... wine that gladdens the heart of man...."  Then there is a fact that Jesus has made his wine at a point in the party when they'd had enough to drink that traditionally their senses were dulled.  I'm not suggesting they were drunken, but they had enough to drink that they were feeling the effects.  And it is at this point that Jesus makes His wine.   

I think Jesus was more fun and cooler than we can possibly imagine or allow ourselves to think.  And, if my view of the Christ is flawed, God forgive me.  Someone once said to me when I brought this up that "Yeah, He made wine and like to hang around the beach."  There is also that Toby Keith song, If I Was Jesus.  Here are the lyrics:

If I was Jesus, I'd have some real long hair.
A robe and some sandals is exactly what I'd wear.
I'd be the guy at the party turnin' water to wine.
Yeah, me and my disciples, we'd have a real good time.

Oh and I'd lay my life down for you,
And I show you who's the boss.
I'd forgive you and adore you
While I was hangin' on your cross.
If I was Jesus.

I'd have some friends that were poor.
I'd run around with the wrong crowd.  Man, I'd never be bored.
Then I'd heal me a blind man.  Get myself crucified
By politicians and preachers, who got somethin' to hide.

Oh and I'd lay my life down for you,
And I show you who's the boss.
I'd forgive you and adore you
While I was hangin' on your cross.
If I was Jesus.

If I was Jesus, I'd come back from the dead,
And I'd walk on some water just to mess with your head.
I know your dark little secrets.  I'd look you right in the face
And I'd tell you I love you with amazing grace.

Oh and I'd lay my life down for you,
And I'd show you who's the boss.
I'd forgive you and adore you
While I was hangin' on your cross.
If I was Jesus.

If I was Jesus.

There was a reason some of the Jews thought Jesus and His disciples were drunkards and too fun-loving compared to the more sober John the Baptist in his camel hair clothes and locust-eating diet.  [Matthew 11:18-19] Who are we?  

I love Bruce Marchiano's interpretation of Christ as a laughing, joyous man of passion whose happiness was infectious in the movie, "The Gospel of Matthew."  It's Jesus' happiness that so many critics have pointed out and what makes him the light of the world and what makes His eventual death far more emotionally tragic.  As one reviewer has stated, "Jesus is portrayed by Bruce Marchiano as affectionate and joyful.  As the actor himself has said, 'This is a Jesus who smiles, laughs and rolls up  his sleeves to work and play with those he loves.' "

Here's a little sermon I found called, "The Party's at God's House."  Cheers.

No comments: