Friday, October 3, 2008

October 3

Esther 1:1-22, 2:1-23, 3:1-15, 4:1-17

The Book of Esther

The story of Esther is one that continues to amaze me anew each time I pick it up.  I am struck by the interweaving of cultures -- Babylon and Israel.  A Jew marrying into another culture.  I thought God didn't want the Jews to do this.  Of course, she probably didn't have any choice -- she was brought before the King by his command.  Odd to that the King assembles all of these virgins and the one that pleases him will be his queen.  Not odd for him, I'm sure.  But the sort of pre-marriage arrangement I'd imagine God is not a big fan of.  Tends to diminish the importance of the individual and certainly women.  It's hard not to put today's eyes and morals on another age and culture.  But, for me, this says that God can take anything and make it work to His purposes if we leave it in His hands.  

I also find it interesting the two woman's approach to standing up to the King.  Vashti says, "No."  But Esther plies the King with banquet after banquet before she makes her request.  Both women seek to control their husband...but the approach and results are strikingly different. 

Of course, I am also struck, as have many before me, by that simple line spoken by Mordecai to Esther:

"And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

That line is for my ears and my time and my place as well.  We don't have to be kings or queens. Whatever our position in life, we have influence.  Is that position and influence being used for ourselves or for our God.  

No comments: