Wednesday, December 10, 2008

December 10

Acts continued -- Acts 20:3-38, 21:1-16

This pie chart is from urbanministry.org.  I don't know how accurate the percentages are but it has been my personal experience that the overall spirit and direction this graph implies is accurate.

It's poignant.  Paul knows through the Spirit of his impending imprisonment.  It's ironic.  He wants to go to Rome.  He's told the Christians there that he wants the opportunity to see them.  His imprisonment will be that opportunity.  Great sacrifice is required to accomplish great things.  

Passages I underlined:

"...We must help the weak remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" [Acts:20:35]

I wrestle with the subject of giving a good deal.  The giving stressed and commanded in the Bible is largely for the weak, widows, orphans and aliens.  What I struggle with is not giving so much as my responsibility in the stewardship of the resources I've been blessed with.  How is the money I give used?  How much am I responsible for how it is used?  If I give 10 percent to a church that only uses 20 percent or less of those funds to take care of the needs the Bible truly outlines as worthy of giving is that a responsible use of my resources?  Or is it better to ensure 80 percent or even 100 percent of the money goes directly to the need by giving to Christian orphanages and health organizations and relief?  I know those organizations have infrastructure costs, too.  But the percentages seem a whole lot better.  Would the Church be a charity worthy of our investment if we really analyzed what percentage of our giving actually met the needs outlined in the Bible.  I often cringe at the prayer before the offering when we mindlessly and ignorantly (innocently ignorant -- but that's my analysis and not necessarily the  truth) imply through how the prayer is offered that the money will help those in need.  Will it?  And how much of it?  

I find I give cheerfully if I give to those in need rather than have my resources applied to a church tax of overhead and infrastructure.  

The Lord has a whole lot of real estate in Rutherford County...but is that what He wants?

Another passage:

"Leaving the next day, we reached Caesarea and stayed at the house of Philip the evangelist, one of the Seven.  He had four unmarried daughters who prophesied." [Acts 21:8-9]

Wow, how progressive for a Church of Christ.  Imagine.

No comments: