Wednesday, December 3, 2008

December 3

Regarding the Resurrection -- 1 Corinthians 15:1-58; Closing Personal Thoughts -- 1 Corinthians 16:1-24; Acts 19:23-41, 20:1


Ok, I promise, I'm not going to touch baptism for the dead [1 Corinthians 15:29] or Paul's assertion that Peter was first to see Christ after his resurrection [1 Corinthians 15:5].  I had my fill of controversy yesterday.  

What caught my eye and ear in this reading was:

"But some may ask, 'How are the dead raised?  With what kind of body will they come?'  How foolish!  When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else.  But God gives it a body as He has determined, and to each kind of He gives its own body." [1 Corinthians 15:35-38]

We are just seeds of ourselves.  I wonder what we will grow in to?  So our life -- like the life of a plant before it seeds -- is to store up what we will need in the next life.  And what is it we are here to store up?  What is it we have here that we will need to blossom in our next life?  Knowledge of God?  Or experience with God?  I wonder.  And I laugh.  As I age, at various points, I can't help but think my life is drawing to a close.  But, I'm wrong.  

I'm just going to seed.

No comments: