Saturday, December 20, 2008

December 19

Second Letter to Timothy -- 2 Timothy 1:1-2; Exhortations to Timothy -- 2 Timothy 1:3-18, 2:1-26, 3:1-17, 4:1-8; Concluding Thoughts -- 4:9-22


"Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy." [2 Timothy 1:4]

"May the Lord show mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains." [2 Timothy 1:16]

This murderer of Christians now derives so much joy from his relationships with them.  He places so much importance on people.  He preaches love and avoiding "quarreling about words" and "godless chatter."  How often do our "doctrinal discussions" become "quarreling about words"?

"Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this."  [2 Timothy 2:7]

Rightly or wrongly, this is how I've approached my reading of the Bible through the year.  I've read, reflected and looked to the Lord for my insight.  Yes, there is a place for teachers.  I've spent a lifetime listening to them and still on every Sunday of my life.  But how much time have I given the Lord to give me his sermon, his insight?  Here is my resolution for the new year.  Listen less to man and more to the Lord in 2009.  

No comments: