Tuesday, December 23, 2008

December 22

Second Letter by Peter -- 2 Peter 1:1-2; Value of True Knowledge -- 2 Peter 1:3-21; Danger of False Teachers -- 2 Peter 2:1-22; Regarding the Second Coming -- 2 Peter 3:1-18


I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.  And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things. [2 Peter 1:13-15]

I think I've blogged about this before -- but I really appreciate the tent-of-this body concept.  A tent is a temporary dwelling.  Living in a tent you are intimately aware of the environment and changes in the weather.  Things you'd be insulated from in a more permanent dwelling.  Maybe if we truly viewed our earthly stay as a temporary dwelling, we'd be more aware of the evil in the world all around us instead of removed and distant.  You're not overly concerned with the appearance of your tent either.  It's merely a functional piece of equipment.  It's not who you are.  Who you are is what's protected inside the tent.  A tent will be blown away if it's not staked down.  Tents need anchors.  Also, living in a tent encourages you to simplify your life.  When you live in a tent, you don't fill it with a lot of stuff.  Because you realize you have to carry everything with you.  Stuff is just baggage.  So the less the better.  Carrying too much inhibits your ability to keep moving ahead.

This metaphor has sooooo many layers of meaning.

Something else interesting about this reading is the end of the verse:  "And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things."  Peter intends to watch and help them in the next life.  I've always imagined that when I die, I'd watch over and help out the ones I love.  Perhaps I can.  Lord willing.  I love this thought and hope.

1 comment:

Carving Ben said...

Of course you will be able to. It is the doctrine of Communion of Saint, codified in the early baptismal creeds of the Western Church. It is the line in the song 'mystic sweet communion with those whose rest is won.' The Church is a communion in Christ of those gone on and those still here. We are experientially in the heavenlies (Heb 12), where subsides the great cloud of witnesses and the souls of just men made perfect.' That is not sterile doctrine- it was Paul's experience to which he put words that are recorded in Scripture.